Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Vegan Experiment - Day One

An Earth Day conversation with my boss took a turn for the unusual, and he challenged me to a week of not eating any foods derived from animals.  Zip.  Zilch.  Since I don't turn down most challenges that aren't illegal, I'll be spending my week eating plant-based food. He thinks I won't make it two days. 

And before you ask, yes, friends, this is all you are going to hear about until next Friday.

Here is a recap of Day One...
Which Hummus?? AHHHHHHH!

Right out of the gate I was attacked by the want for cream in my coffee.  With no coconut milk in sight, I had to make a judgment call.  Black coffee isn't the worst, but it's not ideal either.  In the end, my need for caffeine won.  It probably won't be the worst thing I try all week. 

I drove to Whole Foods to get some provisions, and I successfully completed Day One. 

Here is what I ate today:

Breakfast:

Blech! Coffee
French bread, toasted
Red plum jam


What I said "no" to: Butter,  cream, egg

Lunch:

Zucchini Grillini (no cheese, on French bread)
Fruit
Corn chips and salsa


What I said "no" to: Jason's Deli soft serve (wtf?), cheese, 9-grain artisan bread, rum sauce

Snack:

Apple slices
Peanut butter


Dinner:

Lime Sweet Potato, black beans, and kale
What I said "no" to: Chicken wild rice soup

All that sacrificin'..and I didn't die.  :)  I sure wish I had some figs to reward me.